In Memory of Our Fallen

This page is dedicated to the Rolling Thunder® OK family and family members that have been called home. 
May God bless them and the families of these HEROS.

SSG James (Jim) L. Frazier
 7 Nov 1925 - 7 Mar 2010

Medical Detachment 89th Chemical Mortar Battalion
United States Army

Army of Occupation Medal
WWII Victory Medal
American Service Medal
Good Conduct Medal
European African Middle Eastern Service Medal w/ 2 Bronze Stars

        Jim enlisted before graduating high-school on 5 Jan 1944. He was honorably discharged 24 Apr 1946.  He served as a combat medic (Medical Technician 409). He and his driver were the first two soldiers to cross the Rhine River into Germany. During that crossing they survived the strafing of Messerschmitt ME-109's. Rounds hit the bridge, the water, and the Jeep, but Jim and his driver were untouched. That night, he and nine other "Okies" found an abandoned house to sleep in. Shortly after retiring they felt an earthquake. Going outside, they found a German "88" round embedded ten feet from the room they were in. A dud.  After the crossing, he fought for 151 days straight. He killed and saved many times a day. He saw, experienced, and felt things we can only imagine. Just TRY to imagine the mental stress of trying to save a human being's life, then another, then another, and the next moment trying to kill yet another human being (sometimes then trying to save the life of that same man). Now try to imagine doing this day after day for five months.
     Like the vast majority of the Greatest Generation, he was most humble about what he had done. Like most, he would say; "We just did what we had to do." Nothing special. Just a bad situation that they had to do something about. WE OWE THESE PEOPLE. WE OWE THESE PEOPLE BIG-TIME. Do not let your children, your grandchildren, nor your great-grandchildren, NOT be told of the service, the sacrifice, the humility, nor the pain his generation paid for their future.
     Jim was again called by his country to serve in Korea, however was, again, honorably discharged after only one month (physical disqualification).
     Jim earned a degree in accounting after his discharge, rebuilt his first airplane and obtained his pilot's license. He didn't give up flying until about ten years ago. He was an accountant for DX-Sunray for a number of years. Then started his own bail-bond business. Later, he and I were business partners. Then, after a satisfying, benevolent life, Jim finally finished high-school. At age 74 he returned to school and earned his GED.
Jim and I were not father/son-in-law. We were buddies, still harassing each other until the day before he was called home. His death was not unexpected. We knew for some time. I don't know if that makes it easier or harder. But Jim tried to make it easier on everyone. He made the choice. He never felt sorry for himself. Quite the opposite. He felt sorry for those who had died around him, never getting to experience the love of family, wife, children, grandchildren, fast cars, flying, fishing, swimming, all the things we take for granted. Many, many times he had asked himself; "Why them, and not me?"
Jim never asked for recognition, honor, nor respect, but he damned sure earned it.
Home  • Contact Us  •  Legal Policies